Hosted Offsite/Onsite Backup
Keytech has been designing and deploying backup solutions for nearly 20 years and so are well placed to provide either a bespoke backup solution or a Keytech backup package. Keytech are specialist’s in providing either a fully managed backup service or Ad Hoc consultancy to either resolve backup issues or deploy tailor made solutions for clients. The type of solution taken by the client is really dependant on the client’s business requirements and environment and could be any of the following:
- Onsite Only
- Offsite Only
- Onsite and Offsite
Virtual and Physical Backups
Keytech has experience on many different backup products and use the best of breed backup applications depending on the client’s requirements. These applications can be mixed and matched and quite often multiple backup products could be running on the same hardware backing up several different types of environments. For Physical devices Keytech uses a mix of Computer Associates and N-Able D2D software and for the Virtual world a mix of D2D and Veeam backup software.
Hosted Onsite Backups
This is a fully managed disk based Backup service and includes the deployment of a Keytech owned backup Server onto the client’s site to provide the backup service. The costs for the service is based on the number of servers and applications in the backup scope and the amount of disk space required to facilitate the clients retention requirements for the Servers included in the scope of the Service.
Hosted Offsite Backups
This service is usually taken in conjunction with the Hosted Onsite service and provides a second copy of the client’s business critical data. This is a fully managed disk based Backup service and includes the deployment of a Keytech owned backup Server usually in Keytech’s datacenter (but could be at another location) to provide True Disaster Recovery copies of the data on the clients site. The costs for the service is based on the number of servers and applications in the backup scope and the amount of disk space required to facilitate the clients retention requirements for the Servers included in the scope of the Service. The main requirement for this service to work effectively is reliable Communication links with enough bandwidth to accommodate the clients data change rates which will affect the size of the backups being taken.
As part of both the Onsite and Offsite Hosted Backup Solution Keytech recommend including a number of days in the contract to carry our DR testing on an annual basis. This will ensure the data integrity of the backups being taken is good and will be used to provide detailed plans for data recovery methods
Planning and Design
During the planning and design stages of any backup solution The clients data changes, locations of the backup Servers and Servers to be backed up, and the Communication links between these locations is all taken into account to ensure that the service will function effectively.
The Service delivery team at Keytech will monitor the Backup Service and hardware health on a 24x7x365 basis. Corrective action by the team will be taken to resolve any hardware or software related problems and review any failed backups on both the Onsite or Offsite Backup servers.
As part of the Service the following is provided as standard
- Backup & Restores
- Daily, weekly and Monthly Reports on backup activity and success
- 24x7x365 Management and Monitoring
- Disk based backup Silo
- All Software required to provide the solution
- Day to Day management of the backup system and resolution of any issues
- Backup of Virtual or Physical Servers
- Application backups of SQL, Oracle and Exchange
- Backups will be taken to a disk based backup silo using file and block level incremental technologies.
- Restore can be performed at a file and server level.
- A physical Windows based server will be utilized to host both the virtual and physical server backup application
- All backup servers will use direct attached local storage for the backups
- Server backups will be grouped into jobs containing similar server templates to maximize the disk storage saving through storage de-duplication.
- Unless otherwise stated, all backups will includes all server data and operating systems files to facilitate full system recoveries if required.
- Physical server file restores will be performed back onto the local servers via the backup interface from the local or remote backup silo. These can also be restored to an alternate location if required.
- Virtual server file level restores will be provided via the central management interface. Restored files are initially restored onto the backup server and can then be copied back to the original or alternate location as required.
- Full system recoveries or DR invocations can be performed on virtual or physical servers.
- Virtual servers can be recreated directly from backup onto an ESX server with available resources.
- The restored virtual server can be from the last backup or from a point in time within the backup retention period.
If this is invoked in a real disaster and Keytech offsite technical resource is required to aid the recovery, either existing credits or Ad Hoc Professional consultancy time can be purchased by the client to cover the time required